Parents Of LGBTQ+ Young Adults
Mom, Dad…we need to talk. I’m gay.
Has your child shared those words with you?
Being the parent of that LGBTQ youth who came out to you can stir up a lot of questions and a whirlwind of emotions. Chances are, you’re here because you want some support on how to deal with these thoughts and feelings.
As a lesbian who came out to my parents when I was 17 and a certified life coach, I’m here to help you and your LGBTQ youth.
NUMBERS SPEAK VOLUME
HERE ARE SOME EYE OPENING STATS ABOUT LGBTQ+ YOUTH
- 46 percent of homeless LGBTQ+ youth rUn away because of family rejection of their sexual orientation or gender identity; 43 percent were forced out by parents, and 32 percent faced physical, emotional or sexual abuse at home.
- According to the Williams Institute, 40% of the homeless youth served by agencies identify as LGBTQ+
- 43% of clients served by drop-in centers identified as LGBTQ+
- 30% of street outreach clients identified as LGBTQ+
- 30% of clients utilizing housing programs identified as LGBTQ+
i was told i was going to hell
I witnessed my mom and dad deal with their emotions and questions alone.
There was confusion, there was denial, there was anger, there was dissapointment and there was even grief. It was a difficult time because there wasn’t support – for my parents or for myself. And that’s why I made it a mission to develop an avenue for LGBTQ+ youth and their parents to get support. There is such a positive shift that coaching can have – so many tools and resources – and I’d love to help you.
LGBTQ+ COACHING IS MY SPECIALTY
- what could i have done wrong?
- why didn’t [child’s name] tell me sooner? am i not approachable?
- what about grandkids? i was really hoping to have some.
- could this possibly be a phase?
- am i supposed to talk to [child’s name] differently now?
- how are others going to react when they find out?
- how is this going to affect my life?
- what do i do now? how can i support my child better?
- WHAT IF I Don’t support them? What do i do now?